Monday, September 30, 2013

Group E-mail 9/30/13


Another one of our investigators got baptized on Saturday! Her name is Thi and she is so awesome! She has been on track and wanting to get baptized ever since we met her. She is the little sister of a recent convert in the singles ward. The baptism was beautiful and the Spirit was really strong. Our ward mission leader in the singles ward said that on his mission the missionaries would always teach a short restoration lesson while the people were changing after the actual baptism was performed. So Sister Stepp and I decided to do that and the Spirit was very strong. I know that this church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is Christ's true church restored upon the earth. It is the exact same church that Christ established when He was on the earth with prophets and apostles leading it through revelation and the priesthood. Joseph Smith is a prophet of God and Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet, as well. We are so excited for General Conference this weekend. It is such a blessing to have a prophet on the earth who can receive revelation for our day. I love the scripture 1 Nephi 19:24. It talks about how we need to listen to the prophets and apply what they are saying to our lives. Please, please listen/watch General Conference this weekend. Take notes. Listen to the Spirit teaching you. And take the things that they say and you learn and apply them into your lives so that you can become more Christlike and and a better disciple of Jesus Christ. 

I have felt the Spirit of Elijah very strongly this week. Sister Stepp and I have had lots of meetings with our ward mission leader and the elders in our ward this week. We are working on putting together a family history workshop for people in the community.So we have talked a lot about our ancestors. I LOVE my ancestors. They are my heroes and I look up to them. There was a time in the MTC when I was questioning why in the world I was on a mission. So one night I prayed and was asking Heavenly Father to comfort me and help me remember why I was there. My ancestors came to my mind. Particularly my pioneer ancestors. I love them so much and I want to help their legacy, and the legacy of all of the early saints, continue and grow stronger. I was reminded that my ancestors are always going to be at my side to help and support me even if I can't see them. I feel their love. All of our ancestors love us so much! It is up to us to learn to love them. As you learn to love your ancestors, you will want to do more family history work and do their temple work and it won't feel like a chore anymore; you will feel their love for you and know that they are there supporting you. The Spirit of Elijah is so real and it can bless every aspect of your life and help you in anyway. I read an article in an Ensign, the other day, that talked about how doing her family history work and learning about her ancestors, helped this girl forgive people who had greatly wronged her. I don't know about you, but I would never associate doing family history with giving us the strength to forgive, but it does! And that is one of the amazing things about the Spirit of Elijah. It can help us with pretty much everything! And family history work isn't just for members. Everyone around the world, members and nonmembers alike, are feeling the Spirit of Elijah (whether they know it or not) and are doing their family history work. Invite everybody to do it. It can bless everyone! I love my ancestors so much and I am so grateful for them! I hope that you will one day gain a love and appreciation for your ancestors, as well. 

I am so grateful to be a member of this church. The Lord is truly hastening His work. I am so grateful to have this chance to serve the people of Houston at this time. I love Houston! It is a beautiful place full of beautiful people! The Gospel of Jesus Christ can help everybody and bring peace to all of our lives!

Love,
Sister Sylvester

No comments:

Post a Comment