Monday, September 15, 2014

Group E-mail 9/15/14

Just the normal missionary stuff to report for this week. Visiting less-actives and recent converts. Teaching investigators. Finding new people to teach. I practiced some of my Spanish with Sis. Diaz. I can understand it pretty well, I just can't speak it. We got to know some more members in the ward. They are all awesome and hilarious. 

Highlights for this week include, but are not limited to:
  • Eating a fish. One of those fishes that is cooked, but it looks like a real, live fish with the scales and the tail and the head, including the eyes. It was really good. I love fish. I ate the fish's eyes. They were pretty good, but the thought of eating eyes kind of threw me off. It was weird.
  • We visited a member couple in our ward and talked about all sorts of stuff like how much we love Idaho, floating the Boise River, cool spiritual experiences, wayward children, and prophets. And during this whole conversations, I definitely had the coolest seat in the house -- a horse saddle set up on stand. The closest thing I have to riding a horse on my mission. And I felt like a true Texan -- sitting on a horse saddle in the living room.
  • We had dinner with a family and some of their friends on Friday. Delicious food. Delicious. At the end we shared a message on following the prophet, after which the husband said, "Oh we were just with the prophet 5 weeks ago." What?! Yeah he has known President Monson his whole life and they are good friends. That is so cool!
  • We are teaching two siblings of a recent convert. And they all came to church yesterday. The two kids love the Book of Mormon stories book and keep it in their backpacks so they can read it at school.
  • Met an Irish guy and gave him a Book of Mormon. I love how diverse Houston is. So many people from everywhere.
  • One of our investigators moved -- that isn't really a good highlight, but thought I would mention it. She moved to Cut 'N Shoot. And yes there is really a town in Texas called Cut 'N Shoot. It is kind of sketchy.
  • We got a new investigator. Guadalupe. We started teaching her about the Restoration -- correction, Sis. Diaz taught. It was all in Spanish. I tried to use my not-very-existant gift of tongues to understand what they are saying. Sis. Diaz taught me how to bear my testimony in Spanish. So I can now bear my testimony in 3 languages -- english, spanish, and texan.
  • Officially met and got to know the ward mission leader and his wife. They are awesome. 
  • This weekend the weather was really nice and it was cool and so great. I even wore my red jacket Saturday night just because I could without getting super hot and sticky with sweat.
This week I'm especially grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ that allows and helps us overcome our weaknesses and shortcomings. Through it we can change and become the sons and daughters that our Heavenly Father wants us to be. Without the Atonement trying to change or become better would be so much more difficult and pointless. And I can't imagine a world where change and improvement weren't possible or worth it. I''m grateful for how much I have learned and grown on my mission because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and His beautiful teachings that we can find in the scriptures. And I look forward to continuing to learn and grow during the rest of my mission and life. I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.I know that His Priesthood, Gospel, and Church have been restored to the earth. I know He lives. And I know that he speaks to us today. 

Love,

Sister Sylvester

No comments:

Post a Comment