Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Group E-mail 4/14/14

We did lots of service for people this week. On Tuesday we did our usual service activity with our district, at a Nature Center. That is always fun. On Wednesday we ended up helping a member with yard work in the morning. Her family's relationship with the missionaries kind of got ruined last year, so it was good to build that back up. We ended up having dinner with them on Thursday and we are having dinner with them again next week, so I guess they like us, which is good. Sis. Colton weeded and I raked up the yard. In Texas there are a bunch of brown, spikey balls that are all over people's yards. So I picked up all of those. And then on Thursday we ended up helping a potential investigator, Caleche, with her yard. She is friends with the Relief Society president, and we have been trying to set up another time to get together, but she has been really busy. Anyway, Caleche is pregnant with twins and hasn't been able to do her yard. We called her to offer our services, and she said we could help, but her lawn mowers weren't working. So we borrowed the Relief Society's president's lawn mower and did her lawn. Sis. Colton weeded again, and I mowed the lawn. It was quite the adventure. Her backyard consists of a ton of really tall weeds, and so. much. dirt. And I got covered in the dirt. You know when you are on trek, and you get covered in a thick layer of dirt all over? Yeah, that is what I looked like when I finished.

After being in Houston for almost 11 months, I officially feel like I have experience Texas because this weekend I ate crawfish. Our stake had a huge crawfish boil on Saturday night. I think around 2000 people were registered to come, and I'm pretty about that number of people came.So many people. And lots of nonmembers. It was really great. We got to try crawfish. I like it. It was really good. The only problem is that I'm not very skilled at getting the shell off of the crawfish, so it took awhile for me to eat it. I was really hungry, and it was taking a long time, so I didn't eat very much before I went and got a hamburger to fill me up. They had activities for the kids going on inside of the church, and so we had missionaries roaming the halls the whole time. Lots of people asked for church tours and a lot of copies of the Book of Mormon and other materials were given away.

We met with Megan this week and taught her a little bit more. Tim wasn't there because he went to Mutual. Apparently, at Mutual they decided to ask Tim to give the spiritual thought, and he did a really good job. He shared what he learned from General Conference. Anyway, Megan is great. We went over the baptismal interview questions with her. We have never officially taught her about the Word of Wisdom, but we found out she had already been cutting back on coffee and tea, and so we invited her to stop drinking it all together, and so far she has. And we had never talked about keeping the Sabbath day holy, yet, but a member in our lesson last week had talked about how they had made an effort to not work or do school work on Sunday, and so Megan decided that she should do that, too, and she has been working on that. She is so great. She had her baptismal interview yesterday and passed, so she is getting baptized on April 25th. We are really excited. Tim will have his interview next week.

I hope everybody has a great Easter this weekend. I'm so grateful for the chance that we have to focus on Christ and His Atonement this weekend. I am so grateful that Christ loves each of us so much that He was willing to suffer not only for all of our sins so that we can repent and be cleansed, but also for all of our temptations, afflications, infirmities, etc. so that He can help us and strengthen us. Jesus is the Christ and He is our Savior and Redeemer. Only through Him and by living His gospel can we be cleansed of our sins, and live with God again.

Love,

Sister Sylvester

No comments:

Post a Comment